Is it okay to work in a different NOC(job) in Canada than provided in the Express Entry profile?

Common Errors and Mistakes That You May Be Making on Your Express Entry Profile

The government of Canada allows foreign nationals that come from a variety of different fields, educational backgrounds, and work experience to obtain permanent residency in Canada under specific federal economic immigration programs. This is also known as the Express Entry immigration system. By applying for Express Entry, the applicant is essentially establishing a mutually beneficial relationship with the Canadian Government. That being said, while the applicant is obtaining the permanent residency, they are also contributing to the Canadian Labor Market and the economy. Since a job is an essential part of this type of immigration, one needs to make sure that they meet the strict rules set by Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC). One of the rules for Express Entry is meeting the descriptions on the National Occupation Classification (NOC).

Is it okay to work in a different NOC(job) in Canada than provided in the Express Entry profile?

The National Occupation Classification, also known as the NOC, is a list of all the occupations in the Canadian labor market. It describes the type of work performed by Canadians in the labor market according to skill type and skill level. The type of work usually is determined by the task, duties, and responsibility within the occupation. The classification gives employers, job seekers insightful information that allows them to better understand the nature of work and what type of experience is needed to apply for a program. The NOC is a four-digit code that helps classify the occupation.

In order to determine your NOC, one has to identify their job title first. Second, they need to understand what the tasks, duties and responsibilities within the occupation are. Once they have relevant information about the job, they may start searching their job on Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship (IRCC) website. After the search, they will find the main duties of that occupation. At this stage, they need to determine if the listed duties match what they did at their previous job. Get the help of professional consultants who are authorized by the ICCRC.

For immigration purposes the job information is broken down into number of groups to help you identify your correct NOC.

The Main Groups Include:

  • Skill Type 0 (zero): includes management jobs such as restaurant managers, mine managers, shore captains (fishing).
  • Skill Level A: includes professional job which usually require you to have degree from a university. These types of jobs include dentists, architects, doctors etc.
  • Skill Level B: includes technical jobs and skilled trades that usually require you to have a college diploma or train as an apprentice. Some examples include chefs, electricians, and plumbers
  • Skill Level C: Includes intermediate jobs such as industrial butchers, long-haul truck drivers, food and beverage servers. An intermediate job usually requires you to have a high school or job specific training or both.
  • Skill Level D: includes labor jobs that usually give on-the-job training. For example, cleaning staff, fruit pickers, oil field workers, etc.

After having determined the NOC, one should verify if it meets the requirement for the class from which they are applying for permanent residence. You can find your NOC here.


Is it okay to work in a different NOC(job) in Canada than provided in the Express Entry profile?

When someone become a permanent resident of Canada, they are entitled to most of the same rights and privileges as a Canadian citizen. This allows a person to work in any job that they are able to land. This essentially means that there need not be a relation between the NOC mentioned in your application and the NOC of the actual job that you have/will get in Canada.

Is it okay to work in a different NOC(job) in Canada than provided in the Express Entry profile?

There are many instances where doctors and engineers are driving cabs and serving in restaurants. One can also start their own business.

This should give clarity as most people have that confusion when it comes to their NOC and all that it entails.

Contact legitimate professionals that know the Canadian Immigration law to get legitimate advice.