An open work permit allows you to work for any employer in Canada, except for the ones who are listed as ineligible.
Who is eligible to apply for a work permit?
An open work permit is only available in certain circumstances:
- If you are an international student who graduated from a designated learning institution and is eligible for the Post-Graduation Work Permit Program.
- You are a student who can no longer afford to pay for your studies and fees.
- You have an employer specific work visa and are being or are at danger of being abused in Canada because of your job.
- Filled out an application for permanent residence in Canada.
- You are a member of a dependant household of someone who has applied for permanent residence.
- Are a skilled worker’s or international student’s spouse or common-law partner.
- Are a spouse or commonlaw partner of an Atlantic Immigration Pilot Program applicant.
- Are a refugee, a refugee claimant, a protected person, or a family member of a protected person
- Are subject to an unconstitutional removal order.
- Are a temporary resident permit holder.
- To be qualified in each of these scenarios, you must meet additional programme conditions.