A Temporary Resident Visa (TRV), also known as a visitor visa, is an official document issued by the Canadian visa office that is placed in your passport to display that you have met the requirements for admission to Canada as a temporary resident (either as a visitor, a student, or a worker). A TRV must be obtained before you reach Canada.

Canada Immigration Consultants In Bangalore

People who are looking to visit Canada for a holiday, or to visit family, or to conduct business should apply for a TRV before they arrive in Canada. The TRV come with some restrictions which are subject to various conditions. Canadian citizens or permanent residents are not required to get a TRV to enter or re-enter Canada.


To get a TRV you need to fulfil some conditions while you apply to the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC). Some of them are as follows:

  • You will have toprove that you will leave the country after your visit.
  • You must prove that you have sufficient funds to maintain yourself and any accompanying family members.
  • You must be in good health and be willing to conduct a medical exam if required.
  • You must not have any criminal record and be willing to get a police verification done.
  • You must not engage in any kind of work or study in Canada, unless authorized to do so.
  • You must be able to provide all supporting documents at the request of the visa officer.

The requirement for a TRV is also applicable to temporary residents who are transiting in Canada. This depends on your country of residence. If you do not require a visa to enter Canada, you may require an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA). Find out if you need an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) or a visitor visa.

Electronic Travel Authorization:

If you are from the list of countries which do not require a TRV to visit Canada, then you might have to get an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA). You must check if you need an eTA before arriving to Canada and apply for one.

As per the new entry requirements, visa-exempt foreign nationals who come to Canada or transit through a Canadian airport, need an eTA. U.S. citizens and people with a valid Canadian visa, Canadian citizens or permanent residents will notrequire an eTA. Visa exempt travellers do not require an eTA if they are entering Canada via land or sea.

The fee for an eTA application is CAD $7, and as per the official website, most applications are approved within minutes of applying. You will have to submit documents prior toyour application approval. If it is applicable, an email will be sent with instructions within 72 hours.

An eTA can be valid for a period of five years or earlier if your passport expires. With a valid eTA you can travel to Canada as often as you want for short stays which is normally upto six months at a stretch.

Note : Please Click On The Logo & Use The Registration Number To Verify The Legitimacy Of Our Lawyers.