Can I Travel Outside Canada After Submitting My Citizenship Application?

Canadian permanent residents (PRs) may leave and return to Canada after submitting their citizenship application to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC). However, there are specific steps PRs must take to ensure they remain eligible for Canadian citizenship while outside Canada.

Eligibility for Canadian Citizenship

To remain eligible for Canadian citizenship, PRs must:

  • Be a Canadian PR at the time they apply for citizenship. Only Canadian PRs can apply for citizenship.
  • Continue to meet the residency requirement to maintain PR status, which entails residing in Canada for a minimum of 730 days over the past five years.
  • Maintain PR status until they take the Oath of Citizenship.
  • Travel outside of Canada with their PR card for simple re-entry.

Important Notes from IRCC

IRCC emphasizes that PRs must adhere to certain obligations, such as maintaining PR status, renewing their PR card before leaving Canada if it will expire during their travels, and obtaining a Permanent Resident Travel Document if their PR card is not valid.

Communication and Appointments

IRCC communicates primarily with addresses in Canada, and recipients of IRCC correspondence must reply within a specified time. Failure to do so may result in the application being stopped. Applicants must also attend their appointments and events at IRCC offices across Canada. Failure to attend requires contacting the local office or using the online web form to reschedule.

Canadian PRs can travel outside Canada after submitting their citizenship application, but they must adhere to certain residency and PR status requirements to remain eligible for citizenship. Additionally, timely communication and adherence to appointments are crucial for the citizenship process. For personalized assistance with Canadian immigration and to learn more about overcoming medical inadmissibility, individuals can contact Novus Immigration Services. Licensed as the Regulated Canadian Immigration Law and Consultant Firm by the Bar Council of British Columbia, Canada. Discover more about Canadian Experience Class, Express Entry, PNP, Permanent Residence, and the document checklist.