Novus Immigration

Canada Immigration Consultants

Temporary Resident Visa/eTA

Features Of Temporary Resident Visa/ETA

A Temporary Resident Visa (TRV), also known as a visitor visa, is an official document issued by the Canadian visa office that is placed in your passport to display that you have met the requirements for admission to Canada as a temporary resident (either as a visitor, a student, or a worker). A TRV must be obtained before you reach Canada.

People who are looking to visit Canada for a holiday, or to visit family, or to conduct business should apply for a TRV before they arrive in Canada. The TRV come with some restrictions which are subject to various conditions. Canadian citizens or permanent residents are not required to get a TRV to enter or re-enter Canada.

Canada Immigration Consultants


To get a TRV you need to fulfil some conditions while you apply to the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC). Some of them are as follows:

The requirement for a TRV is also applicable to temporary residents who are transiting in Canada. This depends on your country of residence. If you do not require a visa to enter Canada, you may require an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA). Find out if you need an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) or a visitor visa.


If you are from the list of countries which do not require a TRV to visit Canada, then you might have to get an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA). You must check if you need an eTA before arriving to Canada and apply for one.

As per the new entry requirements, visa-exempt foreign nationals who come to Canada or transit through a Canadian airport, need an eTA. U.S. citizens and people with a valid Canadian visa, Canadian citizens or permanent residents will not require an eTA. Visa exempt travellers do not require an eTA if they are entering Canada via land or sea.

The fee for an eTA application is CAD $7, and as per the official website, most applications are approved within minutes of applying. You will have to submit documents prior to your application approval. If it is applicable, an email will be sent with instructions within 72 hours.

An eTA can be valid for a period of five years or earlier if your passport expires. With a valid eTA you can travel to Canada as often as you want for short stays which is normally upto six months at a stretch.