Novus Immigration

Canada Immigration Consultants


Features Of Canada Study Permit

A study permit is a legal document which authorizes an international student to study in Canada for a limited time at designated learning institutions (DLI). Barring certain exceptions, most international students need this document to study. A Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) or an electronic travel authorization (eTA) might also be required to enter Canada based on your country of residence or citizenship. If you live in India, China, The Philippines or Vietnam, you can get study permit faster through Student Direct Stream.


As an international student, you need to secure a study permit from Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC). IRCC grants study permits to eligible prospective students based on a number of factors. To be eligible to apply for a study permit in Canada, you need:

  • To secure a letter of acceptance from a designated learning institution (DLI) in Canada recognized by IRCC and Canadian government.
  • To have your criminal and background record check done and obtain a police clearance certificate.
  • To clear your medical exam.
  • Prove that you will leave the country at the end of the studies or apply for a post graduate work permit if eligible.
  • Prove that you have sufficient funds to cover your tuition fee and living expenses including the return transportation to your home country. The amount required varies by the number of family members. You need to have in your bank account, the tuition fee of $ 10,000 to $ 15,000 plus $10,000 for a single student for a 12 month period; $14,000 and accompanying family members add $3,000 for each additional family member.
Canada Immigration Consultants

If you are eligible for a study permit, you are advised to gather all your supporting documents and apply as soon as you get your acceptance letter from a designated learning institution (DLI). Study permit processing time varies depending from the country you are applying. Applications can be done online or by paper, online is recommended as it is faster and submitted instantly avoiding the courier fees and mail delivery time. Depending on your country of residence, you will receive a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) or an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) or a Letter of Introduction confirming the approval of the permit. You can present these documents at the port of entry in Canada to get your legal study permit from the immigration officer.

Work as a Student: Coming to Canada as an international student opens up a lot of different avenues to gain exposure and work experience in the Canadian workplace market. There are different options for you to work depending on different stages of your study.

  • On-Campus: You are allowed to work on campus for up to 20 hours a week without having to apply for a work permit. However, you need to get your Social Insurance Number (SIN) before you start working.
  • Off-Campus: As an international student studying full time, you can work part-time of 20 hours a week outside the campus for any employer and full-time of 37.5 hours during your semester breaks. An open work permit is required to work off campus. However, this work experience will not be considered for your future immigration application purposes.
  • Co-op / Internship: : If your program of study includes an internship or a co-op, you can apply for a co-op work permit. The co-opwork permit restricts the applicant from working at any other place which will not be a part of your course curriculum.
  • Post Graduate Work Permit: Once you have completed your degree/diploma or certificate from a designated learning institution (DLI), you are eligible to apply for a post graduate work permit (PGWP). This PGWP allows you to work full time for a certain period of time for any employer. This is an open work permit. The duration of the work permit depends on the duration of your full time study. Example; for one year program you will get one year PGWP and for a two or three year program you will get a three year PGWP. Work experience gained on a PGWP may help you towards your application for your Canadian permanent residency through Express Entry’s Canadian Experience Class (CEC) and Provincial Nominee Programs (PNPs).
  • Dependent Work Permit: If you are accompanied by a spouse for your studies, they are eligible for an open work permit in Canada.