Candidates in STEM occupations are invited by Canada in the latest Express Entry draw.

In the latest Express Entry draw, Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) have extended invitations to 4,500 candidates, marking a significant event in the immigration landscape. This draw, specifically tailored for candidates in STEM occupations, reflects Canada’s ongoing commitment to attracting skilled professionals in critical fields.

To qualify for consideration, candidates needed to meet a minimum Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) score of 491, indicating their eligibility and potential contribution to Canada’s thriving STEM sector. Notably, this draw stands as the first for STEM candidates in the current year, signaling the government’s emphasis on bolstering innovation and technological advancement.

This draw saw 1,280 candidates receiving invitations with a remarkable minimum CRS score of 549, marking the highest requirement thus far in 2024. This underscores the demand for top-tier talent in STEM fields, as Canada seeks individuals capable of driving forward its research, development, and innovation agenda.

Compared with previous draws, the evolving trend of CRS score requirements paints a dynamic picture of Canada’s immigration landscape. While the last general draw welcomed 1,980 candidates with a CRS score of 524, the first of the year demanded a higher threshold at 546. This fluidity reflects the government’s adaptability in responding to evolving needs and priorities.

In contrast to category-based selection draws, where occupation categories hold sway, the primary determinant for candidates in general draws remains a high CRS score. This criterion, reflecting a candidate’s overall profile and suitability for Canadian immigration highlights the rigorous and fair nature of Canada’s Express Entry system

Express Entry and category-based selection draw play pivotal roles in Canada’s immigration system, offering pathways for skilled individuals to obtain permanent residency. Let’s break down what these terms mean and how they impact prospective immigrants.


Introduced in May 2023, category-based selection draws serve as a method for IRCC to more precisely target Express Entry candidates possessing in-demand skills or human capital attributes. The department designated six categories in 2023, confirming earlier this year that these categories will persist throughout 2024.

They include healthcare occupations, science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) professions, trades occupations like carpenters and plumbers, transport occupations, agriculture and agri-food occupations, and individuals with strong French proficiency. To be eligible for consideration in category-based selection draws, candidates must already have an application in the Express Entry pool.


Express Entry serves as an application management system for three key economic immigration programs in Canada: the Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP), the Canadian Experience Class (CEC), and the Federal Skilled Trades Program (FSTP). Applicants are assessed based on various human capital factors, including work experience, occupation, language proficiency, age, and education. Each factor receives a score, which is then aggregated to determine the Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) score. Candidates with higher scores have a greater likelihood of receiving an invitation to apply for permanent resident status.

The system’s significant advantage, as implied by its name, lies in the expedited processing of PR applications compared to other economic immigration programs. IRCC has established a service standard of six months for 80% of all Express Entry applications, with the remaining 20% potentially requiring longer processing times, especially in complex cases. For personalized advice and assistance with Canadian immigration, feel free to contact the Novus Immigration Services. Licensed as the Regulated Canadian Immigration Law and Consultant Firm by the Bar Council of British Columbia, Canada. Discover more about Canadian Experience Class, Express Entry, PNP, Permanent Residence, and the document checklist.

Team Novus Canada