Master’s Students Now Eligible for a 3-Year Work Permit in Canada

Canada has recently announced a significant change in its post-graduation work permit (PGWP) policy, making international students in master’s programs eligible for a three-year work permit, irrespective of the program’s duration. This change, implemented by the Immigration Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC), aims to recognize the potential of master’s students to contribute to Canada’s labor market.

Expanded Eligibility

Previously, the length of the PGWP was directly correlated with the duration of the study program. However, with the new policy, master’s students will now receive a three-year work permit. Furthermore, students in programs at PGWP-eligible designated learning institutions (DLIs) that are at least two years long are also eligible for the extended three-year PGWP.

Spousal Work Permit Amendment

In addition to the changes for master’s students, IRCC will be amending rules for spousal work permits. Following this amendment, only spouses of master’s and doctoral-level students will be eligible for a spousal work permit. This change will not impact spousal open work permits for the spouses of Canadian citizens or permanent residents.

PGWP Eligibility Criteria

To be eligible for a PGWP, international students must have completed a program that is at least eight months long at an eligible DLI and must have studied in a program that led to a degree, diploma, or certificate. Full-time student status during every academic session of the program and graduation from a public post-secondary institution is also required.

This change in the PGWP policy is a positive step in attracting and retaining international talent in Canada. It not only provides international students with enhanced opportunities for gaining valuable work experience but also contributes to Canada’s diverse and skilled workforce.

To stay updated on Canadian immigration news and policies, subscribe to our newsletter and join the discussion on the CanadaVisa Forum.

Remember, the information provided here is based on the current guidelines and may be subject to change. For personalized advice and assistance with Canadian immigration, feel free to contact the Novus Immigration Services. Licensed as the Regulated Canadian Immigration Law and Consultant Firm by the Bar Council of British Columbia, Canada. Discover more about Canadian Experience Class, Express Entry, PNP, Permanent Residence, and the document checklist.

Team Novus Canada