Navigating Canadian Immigration as a Couple: A Comprehensive Guide

Canada offers various immigration programs that cater to couples, whether they are engaged, married, or in a common-law relationship. Let’s explore the different immigration options available for couples looking to make Canada their new home. From spousal sponsorship to the Express Entry system and the Provincial Nominee Program, we will provide a comprehensive guide to help couples navigate the Canadian immigration process.

  1. Spousal Sponsorship:

Spousal sponsorship is one of the most efficient ways for couples to immigrate to Canada. If you already have a spouse or partner living in Canada who is a Canadian citizen or permanent resident, they can sponsor you to join them in Canada and become a permanent resident. Certain eligibility criteria must be met, such as the sponsor being at least 18 years old and not having been sponsored as a spouse within the last 5 years.

  1. Sponsor Your Family for Canadian Immigration:

To sponsor a spouse or partner, the sponsor must be a Canadian permanent resident living in Canada or a Canadian citizen. They must not be in prison, bankrupt, under a removal order (if a permanent resident), or charged with a serious offense. Proof of the relationship is also required, which can fall under three categories: spouse, common-law partner, or conjugal partner.

  1. Express Entry:

Express Entry is the federal government’s management system for three main immigration programs. Couples can apply for Canadian permanent residency through Express Entry in two ways: either the main applicant lists the spouse or partner as a dependent, or they can be named as a secondary applicant.

  1. Provincial Nominee Program:

The Provincial Nominee Program (PNP) is an option for couples looking to move to specific provinces or territories in Canada. The partner with the strongest work experience and education should apply as the main candidate, with the other partner declared as a dependent. Sufficient funds to settle in Canada must be provided.

  1. Open Work Permit for Spouses:

Spouses and partners of Canadian citizens or permanent residents can obtain an open work permit while their sponsorship application for permanent residence is being processed. This allows sponsored individuals to work for any employer in Canada to support themselves and their families financially during the immigration process.

Whether you are engaged, married, or in a common-law relationship, Canada offers various immigration programs that cater to couples. It is important to understand and evaluate your profile and chances through authorized ICCRC registered immigration consultants. For more information, reach out to Novus Immigration Services. Licensed as the Regulated Canadian Immigration Law and Consultant Firm by the Bar Council of British Columbia, Canada. Discover more about Canadian Experience Class, Express Entry, PNP, Permanent Residence, and the document checklist.